Saturday, November 3, 2007

Latest readings and adventures

God has blessed me with some sweet times this month. I've been reading the old testament every morning for a month, and I've missed 3 days from September 30 to today. I just read Ruth from my hotel in CR this morning before a long day at a conference there, and it was really cool. I love lists, so here's what I've read so far:

Genesis
Exodus
Leviticus
Numbers
Deuteronomy
Joshua
Judges
Ruth

I found myself remaining scripturally hungry in the first week or so when the OT challenge was just 5 chapters a day. I generally read 10 now, though in the last week, I've had a couple of shorter days when deadlines were closing in.

I got into conversation with a girl last night who has only read the Old Testament. I think she sort of considers herself a Christian on her own terms, and (as seems common) she said that her decision to walk away from faith was based on [hypocrisy] of other so-called Christians. It pained me to hear that she believed in "her religion", and I felt my heart break as she rationalized it more and more. Keeping in mind a message I heard recently, I listened and tried to relate. God's magnificent gospel cannot be effectively delivered to a lost and dying world via combat, but on the other hand, it doesn't get across by utter passiveness either. I kept asking God for words; and I believe God sowed a seed or two through me. I'm going to be praying for this girl.

I want to be granted the knowledge of the Bible necessary to effectively communicate it through conversation. This means reading it, reflecting, writing it on my heart, and praying for wisdom. I know I'm not the most out-going person, but when I get started, I can talk. I desire to become better equipped.

And now I must write a lab report. Looking forward to starting 1 Samuel (and then Kings and Chronicles!!).

No comments: